If you’ve been dreaming of tucking into a zingy, citrusy flavour bomb with a texture and crumb straight out of heaven than this is the cake for you. Serve it up with some unsweetened double cream and voila, perfection.
Super quick and easy to make this is a sweet treat with all the qualities of an old fashioned afternoon tea cake. Although there is nothing well mannered or unassuming about the punch in your mouth sweet citrus explosion you get once this one hits your tastebuds. A winner!
Prize Winning Lemon Yogurt Cake
- 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest 2 lemons
- 3/4 cups lightly flavoured oil (I use a light olive oil)
- 1 cup natural Greek style yogurt
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Zest 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 160oC.
- Using electric mixer on medium speed, mix oil, eggs, sugar and rind until well combined.
- Gently fold through remaining cake ingredients until combined.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes in cake pan.
Now it’s time for the Lemon Syrup
- Combine all ingredients in small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring until syrup thickens and sugar dissolves (approximately 5 minutes). Allow to cool slightly.
- Use a skewer to pierce cake evenly across surface and pour warm syrup over.
- Allow cake to cool completely before inverting onto your favourite cake plate.
- Serve with double cream and extra syrup if desired.